Services we can offer Landlords;
we provide two levels of service:

Full Management Services

Excellent Fees – Finders Fee, plus a percentage of the rent each month
Marketing, Wall Window, Zoopla, Our Web, Board and Mailing List
Arrange the inventories and complete the Tenancy Agreements before the Tenant moves in.
Collect the Rent and Bond in advance before moving in, deduct our fees and BACS transfer the balance to you.
Hold the Tenants Security Deposit
Collect the rent and pay it to you by BACS Transfer, less our fees and expenses
Readings of the utilities will be taken and the Gas, Electric, Water Authority and Council will be contacted by letter.
Inspect and report upon your property quarterly/
Report any maintenance requirements to you and obtain quotes for you.
Advise you when the tenancy is coming to an end and seek your instructions for re-letting or selling the property.
Arrange a full property inspection and inventory at the end of the tenancy.
Arrange any necessary cleaning and minor repairs, deducting costs from the tenant’s deposit where applicable and agreed.
Monitor rent payments and alert you if tenants fall behind or breach the Tenancy Agreement.

Let only service

Excellent Finders Fee
Viewings – accompany prospective tenants
Marketing – Wall, Web, Zoopla, Board and Mailing List
Obtaining credit references and guarantors when necessary after getting completed Application form.
Tenancy Agreement – preparing the documentation collecting the first month’s rent and deposit.
Sending you – the Landlord – the rent and bond after deducting our Fees
Advising if any works required before the property can be let and obtaining quotes for you if necessary.


We have a dedicated Maintenance Team available for all requirements;
We can provide you with Free Quotes.
If you require any works to be carried out payment must be made and held in our account until work is checked then payment will be released to the contractor.
Invoices and Receipts etc. will be forwarded to you

We can also;

Apply for mortgage lenders consent.
Notify your insurance companies.
Obtain gas and electrical appliance safety certificates. (Oil & Solid Fuel C.H. Systems must also be checked & serviced annually – record to be kept)
Decide what furniture and /or fittings you intend to leave in the property.
Ensure furnishings to be left in the property comply with fire regulations.
Carry out any necessary repairs and remove anything potentially dangerous.
Make sure the property is in a clean and tidy condition, particularly the kitchen, bathroom, carpets and curtains – as YOU would hope to find it if moving in yourself! A Tenant can tell if the property is well cared for and is more likely to look after it during the tenancy if it is clean at the start.
Overseas landlords apply for tax exemption certificates –

Landlord Services

Print Friendly, PDF & Email